Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Tornado at Night

Tornado at Night

     They ran out in nightgowns to seek the protection
     Of the overhang of the abandoned gas station,
     And resembled the Erecthium's female columns.
     The broken power lines flashed white
     When they touched the wet ground,
     And the girls' legs showed
     As round shadows through their nightgowns.

     I stayed in my apartment until the steps blew away.
     My candle almost extinguished itself from sheer shaking.
     A huge tree fell on my neighbor's car.
     He was in it for safety.
     Out he leaped from the unsquashed half
     Making the voice of Donald Duck running from death.

     I jumped from my balcony then,
     And went walking in the excess, shirtless,
     Praising, opening my mouth, sleek the whips,
     Shirtless, as when gods were men.

     Stan Rice 



No comments:

Post a Comment