Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Windows

The Ins and Outs of Windows

By june

My ventures into painting in 2010 have been pathetically few. One of these was actually begun in Nevada in February of 2009. It was the first Nevada painting I did at the Red Barn. It was colder than [fill in the blank] and even with two electric heaters and my Montana winter coat and gloves, I was shivering. Jer wasn't due for an hour and a half. The only thing that would keep me from walking the four miles to Beatty was painting (well, that and the south wind at about 25 mph).


So I painted my first Nevada painting, shivering, as if I were working in watercolor:


From the Red Barn, oil on canvas, about 20 x 30″, 2009


I really liked the effect of the landscape reaching into the barn's concrete walls and taking over even my shivery body. Later in that residency I tried to recapitulate something of the effect. The paintings were dreadful and ultimately discarded. But I kept this one; I still have it, hanging alongside of a watercolor done in the first painting class I ever took. Both mean something to me personally.


No comments:

Post a Comment